Our Mission Statement
Impact Bay Area is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that teaches effective
boundary setting, personal safety, and physical self-defense skills. Our classes
are tailored to meet the needs of people of different ages, genders, and identities.
Our Vision Statement
We envision a community where everyone has the personal safety tools to live a fuller, more confident life.
What Makes Us Different
Impact Bay Area is the only place where people can get practical self-defense and personal safety training in a welcoming environment regardless of age, physical fitness, gender, or body type. Our intensive training gives students effective skills that will last them the rest of their lives.
Impact coursework has grown out of three decades of first-hand experience teaching personal safety. Programs are typically taught by specially-trained teams of instructors and can address situations ranging from the day-to-day levels of boundary violation to the worst-case scenario of violent assault. We offer programs to
the public and schedule private courses for organizations, schools and corporations.
A recent study shows solidly that women who take a self-defense class that focuses on boundary setting, as Impact does, are less likely to be assaulted.
Impact is a unique style of self-defense, which differs from traditional self-defense programs in several ways:
We teach full-force self-defense. By training students to fight full-force against padded mock
attackers, in an adrenalized state, we engrain our techniques into your 'muscle memory'. This means that your body will remember - and respond appropriately - even when the mind has forgotten or "freezes" during an attack.
- We teach using realistic scenarios. Our instructors are trained to use real-life scenarios of violence and potential violence by playing the role of perpetrators so that you are prepared to counter an actual assault. Our focus on the emotional aspects of assault has allowed many rape, assault, child abuse and domestic violence victims to use our courses as a part of their healing process.
- Training is tailored to each individual. Our techniques utilize the strengths in each student's body. They can be learned and used effectively by virtually anyone regardless of age or physical ability. Class size is limited to provide a maximum level of individual instruction.
- We understand the extremely emotional nature of confronting the fear of violence. Our classes are taught in a supportive environment by trauma-informed instructors. We help you develop your inner strength and work through your fears, as well as honing your physical abilities. Courses include opportunities to explore societal expectations, personal fears and boundary setting through exercises, role plays and discussions.
- We do our research. Impact style self-defense was originally designed for women. It was created after lengthy research into how women are actually attacked and how they can use their unique strengths against an assailant's weaknesses. We have since expanded our program to Kids, Teens & Young Adults and LGTBQ communities and with each new class we researched ways that the specific groups are commonly attacked and made necessary modifications to our curriculum.
- We provide holistic approach. Impact is self-defense for the mind, body and voice. Impact strengthens a student's natural abilities by teaching them how to use their intuition, body and voice to defend themselves.
- Everyone is welcome. People of all ages, genders, sizes and abilities are taught how to defend themselves quickly and effectively against an attacker who is bigger and stronger than them.
- Impact works. 100% of our students surveyed reported an increased ability to defend themselves against both verbal and physical assault after taking an Impact Bay Area course.
To learn more about Impact Bay Area, you can click below to read our past Annual Reports: