Thank you for your interest in joining the Impact Bay Area Board of Directors. This document will give you a clearer picture of board members’ responsibilities and the application process. I hope you will consider joining the Impact Bay Area team. I think you will be a valuable member of the board. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need additional information. If you decide to pursue a position on the board, please enter your contact information at the bottom of this page. Then send your resume and a brief statement about why you are interested in joining us to email@example.com.
Staff & Board Structure
Impact Bay Area is a 501c(3) nonprofit with one full-time employee (the Executive Director), a part time administrative assistant, and 8-12 part-time instructors. Impact Bay Area currently has four Directors on the Board with bylaws allowing for up to 12 members.
Impact Bay Area is looking for new board members who support our mission of reducing violence and promoting healing by teaching full-force self-defense, personal safety, rape prevention and empowerment throughout Northern California.
Board Selection Process:
1. You send your resume and an expression of your interest to the Board Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. We will arrange a meeting or phone conversation with the Board Chair and/or Executive Director to discuss your interests, availability and possible role(s) for you on our Board.
3. You will attend the next Board Meeting to introduce yourself, check out how our meetings work and evaluate whether this is a good fit for you. The next meeting is Monday, May 14th, 7-9pm at a board member's home in the South Bay.
4. At the following meeting (or sometimes at the initial meeting when you visit), the Board will vote to approve your membership. If you are in attendance at the meeting when the vote occurs, you will be asked to leave the room (or drop off the conference call line if joining remotely) during the vote.
5. You sign our Board Agreement & receive board member materials
Board of Directors Responsibilities
- Assessment of Impact Bay Area’s operations
- Legal and fiduciary oversight & budgeting
- Evaluation of Executive Director
- Fundraising & Scholarship Fund Development
- Representation & promotion of Impact Bay Area in the larger community
- Board and organizational development
- Strategic planning
Board Member Agreements:
As a Board Member, you would sign a contract agreeing to
- Develop a thorough understanding of our mission and the classes we offer (all board members are strongly encouraged to take a Basics or Introductory self-defense class);
- Attend monthly board meetings (75% attendance required);
- Serve for a 2-year term;
- Serve on at least one board committee (Publicity & Marketing Committee, Volunteer & Alumni Committee, Fundraising & Development Committee, Program & Curriculum Committee);
- Make an annual or monthly financial contribution;
- Attempt to obtain additional funding sources or in-kind contributions for the organization;
- Provide professional services as an in-kind contribution or volunteer your time for Impact projects
- Observe and evaluate Impact Bay Area's programs;
- Help enhance Impact Bay Area's public image through outreach to media, outreach to relevant community stakeholders, and through personal networks;
- Recruit new candidates for Board or committee membership.
Board members spend about three hours per month in Board Meeting preparation and participation. In addition, active committees often meet in person or on the phone once a month and committee work may require additional outside hours. Depending on their role, availability and current projects, Board members generally spend between 10-20 hours per month (2-4 hours per week) on Impact tasks and responsibilities.
Impact Bay Area seeks individuals for the board who believe in the mission of our organization and have expertise, experience, or interest in one or more of the following areas:
- Violence and/or sexual assault prevention education
- Non-profit administration or previous board experience, leadership & development
- Fundraising, Grant-writing & individual donor cultivation
- Volunteer retention & recruitment
- Accounting, budgeting, bookkeeping
- Experience securing corporate and business donations or event sponsorships
- Marketing and promotions; online social networking
- Community connections in the Bay Area
If you are interested in joining our board, please enter your contact information here and send your resume and a brief statement about why you are interested in joining us to email@example.com.