Women's* Basics covers IMPACT's comprehensive adult curriculum:
- Personal safety skills including intuition, threat assessment, and assertive body language.
- Self-defense voice to alert yourself, the attacker, and bystanders.
- Techniques for verbal and emotional boundary setting and de-escalation.
- Adrenaline management skills for acquaintance and stranger interactions.
- Bystander intervention strategies to safely help others and mobilize community assistance.
- Powerful, effective, and accessible physical self-defense techniques—no athletic ability required!
This 24-hour course focuses on preventing and defending against attacks by a single, unarmed assailant—the most common form of assault—and includes self-defense against sexual assault, as well as the opportunity to practice custom scenarios based on your own life and/or concerns for the future. The course is led by a woman Whistle Instructor, who leads the introduction of new skills, and creates a safe and competent space for students from diverse backgrounds to have a positive and powerful experience. Skills are practiced in safe, realistic role-play scenarios against highly trained Suited Instructors, who play the role of the mock assailant.
IMPACT understands the emotional nature of dealing with violence, and our courses are designed to be trauma-sensitive. Basics can be emotionally demanding, so we recommend building in self-care before and after your course. During class, instructors and class assistants are there to support with self-care and adrenaline management tools, and to generate a supportive learning experience in each group. IMPACT's method of training all techniques in full-force, scenario-based practice provides each student with the felt experience of your own strength and power, and the confidence of your body's muscle memory.
* Women’s Basics is designed to address gender-based violence as experienced by cis and trans women ages 18+. This class is open to all women as well as non-binary and gender-nonconforming people who have lived experience of misogyny and are comfortable in a space that centers the experience of women.
IMPACT Bay Area COVID-19 Policies
IMPACT Bay Area continuously monitors public health guidelines at the national, state, and local level and updates our policies accordingly. Click here for the most up-to-date information for our classes, and review carefully before signing up for a class.
This 24-hour course takes place over 3 or 4 days, and students must be available for each day and all hours of your course. Click "Info" next to the course date below, then click "Schedule" to see the full schedule. For maximum individual instruction, courses are limited to 16 students.
Sliding Scale Rates
- Full-Force ($1,000): For those with more than enough financial resources and a desire to support access for others.
- Regular ($650): For those with sufficient financial resources and who can pay fair value for the experience.
Supported ($250): For those with currently limited financial resources who will benefit from access supplemented by the community.
At IMPACT we believe self-defense is for everyone, regardless of ability to pay. If you have financial need and want to request a scholarship space, email [email protected] with the name and date of the class you are interested in. If there is space available, we will provide info on how to register, including how to make a meaningful, affordable co-pay of your choice to confirm your commitment to the class.
Email [email protected] to learn more about our flexible payment plans.
See the schedule and sign up for a Women's Basics Course below: