Our Young Adult Course is designed to provide young adults ages 16-22 years old with powerful, experiential preparation for embarking on the world on their own. This course addresses issues commonly faced by young adults exploring greater independence, and gives students the opportunity to practice their skills in realistic scenarios against the mock assailants. The class is led by a Whistle Instructor, who is the lead coach, and Suited Instructors, who play the role of mock assailants and wear padded suits to allow students to strike at full force. Students practice verbal and physical self-defense skills to prevent stranger and acquaintance violence, including additional training beyond our Teen Course. Students learn to honor and set their own boundaries, and gain the confidence and skills needed to walk through the world with an increased level of safety.
Young Adult Basics is designed to address gender-based violence as experienced by cis and trans women ages 16-22. This class is open to all women as well as non-binary and gender-nonconforming people who have lived experience of misogyny and are comfortable in a space that centers the experience of women. Students must be at least 16 years old on the first day of class.
IMPACT Bay Area COVID-19 Policies
On June 15, the state of California lifted most COVID-19 restrictions. In light of the new guidelines, IMPACT Bay Area has updated our COVID-19 policies as follows:
- Face coverings are optional for fully vaccinated participants. While not required, we recommend wearing a face covering for the portions of class that involve shouting, due to the possibility of airborne transmission. "Fully vaccinated" means at least 14 days have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer or Moderna), or at least 14 days have passed since your single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson).
- Unvaccinated participants are required by the state to wear a face covering at all times during class. The CDC additionally recommends that unvaccinated people continue to practice social distancing and frequent hand washing.
- All participants will be asked to complete a health screening questionnaire before coming to class.
- During class, all participants are encouraged to wash hands or use hand sanitizer before drills and practice fights. Sanitizing wipes will be available if you wish to sanitize shared equipment before using it.
- We invite you to take any additional precautions that feel safe for you, such as wearing a mask, social distancing, and hand washing during class.
These policies replace the previous ones. We are continuing to track public health recommendations and update our policies. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us. Our priority, as always, is to provide a safe and healthy class environment for you to learn powerful and empowering self-defense skills.
This 16-hour course takes place over 2 days, typically 10am-6pm both Saturday and Sunday. Students must be available for each day and all hours of your course. When booking your course, click the "Info" button to the right of the course date, followed by the "Schedule" button to see the specific schedule. For maximum individual instruction, courses are limited to 16 students.
Sliding scale for this class is $200-500. To keep our classes open and accessible to all, we ask that you contribute at the highest level you can.
At IMPACT we believe self-defense is for everyone, regardless of ability to pay. We reserve a quarter of the spaces in each class for scholarship recipients. If you have financial need and want to request a scholarship space, email [email protected] with the name and date of the class you are interested in. If there is space available, we will provide info on how to register, and also ask you to make a meaningful, affordable co-pay of your choice to reserve your space in a class. There are a limited number of scholarship spaces in each class, and your co-pay shows your commitment to the course.
Email [email protected] to learn more about our flexible payment plans.